3 day chick weak with limp wings

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hoppelchen, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Hoppelchen

Hoppelchen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    One of my chicks was not in a good shape this morning and getting run over by the others, so I've put him back into the incubator at 35C and 60% humidity so he has a bit of peace.

He's not produced feces yet (he ate a little and drank a sip, but not much at all) in the past hour, and he is just lying there quietly with both his wings hanging down limply. He does protest a bit when you pick him up, so there is a little spirit in him. He was one of the later hatches it seems, as he is considerably smaller than the others.

What, if anything should I do?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    You Can Try Supplimenting His Water With Vitamins, But I'm Affraid He Likely Wont Make It Despite Your Best Efforts... Its Just A Chick Thing... The Weaker Ones Go First If You Know What I Mean?

3. Hoppelchen

Oct 15, 2010
    Many thanks JJ,

he is still around and looking at him, he looks somewhat flat-frog shaped when you look how his leg and foot are placed:

[​IMG]

Could he just be splayed and in need of a splint? I don't want to inflict it if this isn't the case. He does not appear to be suffering, just that he doesn't get his butt off the ground.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Well as long as he doesnt look in pain then you can keep him but once you start noticing him in pain I would cull him.Just make sure you dont use him for breeding later on..

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I don't know about this one. I cull mine straight away so they aren't trampled, but that's just me. If it has unfixable splay leg, deformities, or any other thing that looks detrimental, I cull just because it is most humane to the chick, rather than be hungry/thirsty for all two days of it's life then die because it can't get out from under a pileup, or gets trampled.

But that's just me.

6. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Try a little honey and vitamins mixed in his water. Honey is a natural energy booster, which may give him enough of a jolt to eat more and keep his strength up.

Unfortunately when they start out weak it's never a good sign. Odds are he won't make it, but you can always give him a fighting chance. Against my better judgement I always do. Every once in a while it pays off.

7. Hoppelchen

Oct 15, 2010
    Many thanks again to everyone for helping me to make an informed decision.

I've decided put him to sleep in the end, I just didn't want to be too hasty -- my curled toe chick was tough enough to survive (and feet are straight now after treatment, yay!) so, it's not so easy to know what to do!

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:VERY GOOD ADVICE. IF HE'S SPLAY LEGGED AT 3 DAYS OLD ITS TOO LATE TO FIX. THE JOINTS ARE ONLY FLEXIBLE FOR 48-72 HRS OR SO. IF HE'S 3 DAYS OLD THEY ARE ALREADY SET

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by