1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 day old baby chick distressed, not or can't eat or drink. HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Love, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Chicken Love

Chicken Love Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    Canada
    We hatched out 9 baby chicks (Buff orpington and buff/lav orpington) on Tuesday. One of them is chirping VERY loudly, and doesn't seem to be able to eat. It pecks at the food, but can't seem to get it in it's mouth. I'm worried -- any suggestions?? Everyone else is doing great.

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    yep there is always one! if you had one of those microwave bean bags that helps or hand warmers for gloves. I like to pack'm around and make them feel loved and give them sips of watered down yolk. I have goose yolk. I hatched chicks on 2/20 and one was like this. I packed her around fed her and she got better. once I had a store bought chick who was passed out acted dead. I still fed her and kept her warm. sick ones have to be ex warm. that one made it too! Now I bought another 6 store ones yesterday and a black star is acting sickly. (she was the tiniest, and in a corner by herself cheeping pitifully when we chose her.) I know it was not a good chose but I do like a challenge. I have heat packs quilts for chicks, you can use a wash cloth and cross your fingers.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. Chicken Love

Chicken Love Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    Canada
    Thanks! That might have done the trick. It's eating and drinking and happy today. I gave it some sugar water and chick starter in water and then some egg yolk watered down and it seems all good now! yay! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by