3 day old baby chicken i need help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by floridachickhatcher, Jun 17, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    He is 3 days old and my mom told me she thinks i should bring him inside and he does look weak and i thought i saw the yolk cord still stuck to him and i tried to wetten to hoping it would fall off cause i think its stuck to his butt and he cant poop or pee and [​IMG] i droped him when trying to wetten it and it looked like he was peeping but nothing was coming out i feel horrible and he can barely stand without stumbing or falling over but after clearing it away i come to find out it wasnt the cord his/her feathers had matted together with poop and blocked his/her butt so now im thinking he/she is constipated and also should this still be stuck to him/her?
    and i had to take down the pictures i couldnt stand to look at them

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That is pasty butt, there is a lot of info one here about it. Soak him in a bowl or pan or something til all the poop is off, then grease his bottom (oil, vaseline, whatever) and watch for recurrence. He will die if the poop is not removed.

3. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    I cleaned him off cause i can see his/her butt now god i hope he/she comes through i dont want it to die i finally hatch out a WR/RIR and this happens [​IMG]
    i kept wetting a sponge with warm water and using tweezers to gently pull at it and i cleaned it up this is the 3rd WR/RIR i have hatched out that has been on deaths door 1 died from instines hanging out,2 had pasty butt and was dried to the membrane shell but with those two i didnt know the humidity but this little guy/gal hatched out fine [​IMG]

4. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Hope it gets better [​IMG]

5. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    yeah i have him inside here inside my bedroom in the tub brooder wrapped in a wash cloth trying to keep him warm and i have the light turned on but i really dont think he/she is going to make it he/she cant even peep thats how weak he/she is and when he does beep you can hear his beak clinking he/she is soo very weak right now

6. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    She/he is nervous. My hen, Maizie, had pasty butt and she was so scared. We had to leave her alone for a little while because she was just too nervous to be held.

7. chickenwhisperer1804

chickenwhisperer1804 New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    [​IMG] Poor baby! You should bring him/her to a vet. I'm not sure if the vet can do much for him. [​IMG] I don't know where you live, but in Atlanta there is a exotic vet that we take our birds to. I hope he gets better! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Im sorry to say he/she died a few minutes ago

9. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    I'm so sorry, poor little soul, you did your best xxxxxxxxx [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    sorry to hear it... went through the same thing yesterday. Very distressing to see. you have my sympathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by