3 day old chick alone and pasting up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jane A, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Jane A

Jane A Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2008
    Acworth, Georgia
    My chick's bum has dried poo on it. What is the best method for getting rid of it?

2. mattmatts-momma

mattmatts-momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    I had the same thing happen to a couple of my chicks, some had it some didn't.

I took a small bowl of warm water, an old soft toothbrush and dipped the the toothbrush in the water and then to the poopy butt. Once you get it soft, you can pulled it off with a paper towel.

After I got them cleaned up, once I put some Olive oil around the area to keep it from building up. The second time they got it, I put some vaseline on the area.

I think someone on the board also suggested mixing their starter food with some yogurt too.

I haven't had any other ones get pasty butt since I did this.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If the chick is alone like your title says it's probably stressed, and that can contribute to pasty butt. Do you have a mirror in with him...and a small stuffed animal or rolled up sock for him to snuggle with?

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Being too cold can also cause pasty butt. He'll need to be around 95-100 degrees.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Not drinking enough water can cause pasty too...Try a feather duster for his companion...mirror is a good one like Katy says...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by