3 day old chick and 2 silkie mommies **need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 7cluckers, Jun 24, 2011.

1. 7cluckers

7cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    So 3 days ago my 2 silkie hens hatched a chick from one of my other chickens. They sat on the egg together, left the nest for short periods of time, and did a great job for the time it took to hatch the chick. For the first couple of days after the chick hatched, the silkies again barely left the nest and were very good at keeping the chick warm. Today I noticed that they have been out of the nest more often, walking around and seem more restless. The chick is wandering around, following the silkies (out of the nest for about 30 min). I have noticed them calling to her, eating & drinking with her, etc. But the chick's feet seemed so cold! Now they are back in the nest -

The silkies are about 11 months old- I'm worried that they may give up - shouldn't they be snuggling with her all the time? Or am I worrying needlessly? This is the first time we have hatched a chick (naturally or incubator) so just want to make sure all is well!

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Well what are your usual temperatures outside?

3. 7cluckers

7cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    The last couple days it's been raining & high 60's. Normal temp is 80's ( I am in CT). I ended up bringing the silkies inside with the chick and hung a heat lamp. The silkies still seem restless and baby chick just follows them around. The silkies are scratching, giving themselves dust baths & eating but NOT snuggling with baby.

4. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Hmmm maybe you should just keep the babies under the heat lamp for 1 or 2 weeks.. if it gets super hot they would be fine running around with the moms. But don't let them out in the rain till they are a certain age.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    In the beginning of spring we'd still have days in the 40s and my broodys chicks would be out scratching around. When the chicks get cold they will pop under mom for a minute to warm up then come back out and go back to whatever they were doing. As long as your chick isn't chirping its head off its fine. They are alot tougher than we give them credit for. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by