3 day old chick blood spot on chest

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Socalchx, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Socalchx

Socalchx New Egg

Feb 18, 2013
    San Diego CA
    Just got six chicks - 2 barred rock, 2 americauna, 2 australorp. Beautiful! Our first time raising chickens.

[​IMG]

This morning (their first night here) I found one of the barred rocks with a bloody spot on its chest, covered by a wood shaving that is stuck to it.

[​IMG]

I searched but couldn't find anything on this particular pecking problem.

I did find some shavings in their waterer, so I cleaned them out and elevated it.

Their brooding area is about 30"x30" with a 250W red heat lamp off to one side; they don't seem to be huddling or running away from it, so I think they are properly heated. Do I need to add something for them to peck at? Should they have grit this young? Help much appreciated!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I do not see anything in their brooder that could have hurt it, but I also don't think it was pecking. Strange... Put a little antibiotic cream on the area (the kind without painkiller). What you can do for them is hang a feather duster in the corner opposite from the heat lamp, so they can crawl under it. You didn't say how old they are but judging by the pics I'd say they are too young for anything other than chick food. Once they are about 2 weeks or older you can start feeding them treats like scrambled eggs, mealworms or hang a spinach leaf in there for them to peck. When you start feeding treats you should start feeding grit as well. As long as they are only eating chick food they don't need grit.

3. Socalchx

Socalchx New Egg

Feb 18, 2013
    San Diego CA
    Thanks! No further signs of chicken violence this morning, and all seem healthy and happy. I will chalk this up to a fluke at this point and keep a close eye out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by