3 day old chick breathing rapidly and clicking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SundownWaterfowl, Aug 25, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I had a Silkie chick hatch last friday. Ever since she popped out of the shell, her breathing has been very rapid. I have never seen any other chick breath that fast.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  2. SundownWaterfowl

I need help. I think that she may have pneumonia. I just noticed a clicking noise when she breathes.

I am giving her Terramycin and V&E. I dont have anything else to give her.

What should I do?

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Keep her warm and isolated. See if she won't eat some chick feed. If not, you could try mixing some yogurt with it. Keep an eye on her other behaviors - walking, sleeping, pooping. Let us know what you observe.

4. SundownWaterfowl

I have some Clavamox antibotic, im going to give her some of that. Without help, im afraid shes a goner. [​IMG]

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I know you can use that for dogs and cats. Not sure what the dosage would be for a small chick. Remove the terramycin if administering the clavamox.

The material data & safety sheet says:
    If tablets or capsules are crushed and/or broken, avoid breathing dust and avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing.
    Components are soluble in water.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  6. SundownWaterfowl

it is liquid clavamox. I looked it up online. you can give it to poultry and birds like parakeets, house birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by