3 day old chick can’t eat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by albinosilver, Apr 16, 2019.

1. albinosilver

albinosilver Songster

May 17, 2018
    The chick is active but quite disoriented. It drinks ok on its own but when it tries to eat it just pecks in the air and doesn’t get any food. It falls over a lot when it is walking too. I haven’t been able to see it eat at all. I’ve been syringe feeding it some egg yolk in warm water. Is there anything else I can do?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It sounds like your chick is suffering from some type of neurological problem.
    Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench? I would give her 1-2 drops a day for a few days to see if that helps.

Make a wet mash out of your chick starter - see if she can eat that.

EggSighted4Life, aart and Ms Clucky like this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are the other chicks all eating ok?

Had a 'dummy' chick once that seemed lost for the first 3-4 days,
    then all of sudden she was fine.

Can you get video of her behavior?
    Upload to youtube then link here.
    Where did chicks come from?

Ol Grey Mare and EggSighted4Life like this.
  4. albinosilver

albinosilver Songster

May 17, 2018
    @Wyorp Rock
    I haven't heard of it. I'm in Canada so maybe its not available here. Are there any alternatives?

@aart
    The other chicks are fine. I don't have a video but basically the chick sits in the food and "bites" in the air around it. It's also very wobbly and walks around with a more crouched stance than actually standing.

5. Purple_grape84

Purple_grape84 Songster

Jan 19, 2019
    Lamont, AB, Canada
    I am in AB, Canada. I did manage to get nutridrench off Amazon, I think it was .com, not .ca (also got vetrx at the same time). Also the UFA (farm store) had an electrolyte/vitamin powder that you mix with their water.

Wyorp Rock and EggSighted4Life like this.
  6. howdypartner

howdypartner In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2019
    SW Missouri
    Check it's feet. I had a chick who had trouble eating and keeping her balance because her back toe was at a weird angle

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

I have "dummy" chicks on occasion.. I consider it a failure to thrive. :(

No matter what I do to encourage them to eat and with all the other chicks running around eating they stand around stupid and mad peeping because they're hungry. These guys usually live as long as I have nutri drench in the water and fail quickly when I switch to plain water... if they came from elsewhere. If they hatch here, I cull after trying to help them figure it out as I won't knowingly sit by and watch an animal slowly starve. :he

blackdog043 and aart like this.
  8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Skip the vet rx... it's the same thing as vicks vapor rub.. smell okay but has no real healing power IMO. :confused:

aart likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    O.k. Adding your location to your profile can be helpful:)

Do you have a pet store or feed store that sells vitamins for bird? Something like Nutri-Drops or Vita-Sol?
    If not, you can use human vitamins - Vitamin E and B-Complex. I would give 400IU vitamin E and 1/4 tablet of B-Complex for a couple of days to see if she improves.

10. albinosilver

albinosilver Songster

May 17, 2018
    I did give the chick 2 drops of vita-sol. It wasn’t getting any better this morning and the other chicks were picking on it. I was about to give up on it entirely but then I saw it accidentally wiping its beak in the food and then taking a few big bites of it for the first time!

It’s already significantly smaller than the others at this point but here’s to hoping..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: