1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 day old chick cant poop, tried everything

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leogakasmoke, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Leogakasmoke

Leogakasmoke Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    I noticed on of my chicks was behaving oddly, I looked at it and its little ******** is all pushed out and looks like he cant poop. I but his but under some water rubbed witha wet papertowel and multiple qtips. i am not known for being gentle but i am trying to be and not hurting him or being to soft but it doesnt seem to want to let go. i dont know what else to do. i tried puting alittle oil on a qtip and rubbing it too but it is not working, I dont want to hurt him by forcing it open, does anyone have any ideas? the last thing i was thinking was setting it in water up to its chest and waiting a few minutes but i was hoping someone had better advice. i have been rubbing him witha paper towel and a qtip but nothing.

Also i want to add, he appears clean but swollen back there.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is a prolapsed vent. You can try pushing it back in after lubricating it. Be careful because the other chicks will peck it, making it bloody, and perhaps killing the chick. Honey or Preparation H can be applied to shrink the prolapse. It may happen again. You can try a tiny bit of molasses to keep it from being constipated. Here is a thread to read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/173531/prolapse-in-baby-chicks

3. Leogakasmoke

Sep 17, 2013
    Hey thank you, I had not heard of this. Also, when i set the chick back i noticed the hen and otehr chicks were pecking at it so i think that's a good diagnosis. So, i guess I'll try putting a little prep h on it and try to seperate him from the rest of the chicks and see how it fairs. Thank you very much, never would thought of prep h

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I don't recommend molasses for constipation in a 3 day old chick. Too much nutrients could be excreted even if given in a minute amount. I recommend apple sauce, it acts as a mild laxative in chickens and can be easily mixed in starter feed. I'd use molasses or epsom salts mixed in water in an older pullet or an adult hen that's constipated, if apple sauce didn't work.

5. Leogakasmoke

Sep 17, 2013
    Thank you for your response, i am pretty sure it is the prolapsed vent, it is all sticking out, I messed with the chick for a while trying to help it, I hope he pulls through, but it is not looking good.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Some people have used "Preparation H." You can give it a try if you wish. If it doesn't work, it might be best to cull to prevent future prolapse problems. Oops, I didn't read your other post where you were going to try the Prep H...sorry.

7. Leogakasmoke

Sep 17, 2013
    No, thanks, I thought I had some somewhere but do not. I am going to ride it out and see it gets better or not. I would imagine by tomorrow I will now either way. It has energy and will move around and was drinking so we will see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by