3 day old chick, eye shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknduck, Mar 16, 2011.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Hello well I couldnt resist at the feed store yesterday and I got 5 chicks. 3 cornish and 2 EEs. One of the EEs eyes was closed and it is not sticky, nothing seems to be wrong just seems if it has it shut to long it stays shut. I helped it open it and it also opened it on its own. It is definatly seeing out of that eye. So my question is how to or even if I should lubricate or wet it. I have extra gentel Saylien solution could I put a very small drop to just wash or wet the eye? Thank you and sorry for spelling mishaps but it is a very busy morning here. : )

2. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    I put neosporin on their eyes to moisten them. You might give it vitamins/electrolytes in case her general health is low. Also boiled eggs never hurts.
    Good luck!

3. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks, i did add electrolyts to the water as soon as I brought the home yesterday it is eating and drinking but I think I ill do the neosoporine on the eye. It is acctually the most fiesty chick of the 5.

4. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    The feisty thing is a good sign. Means they have a zest for life! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by