3 day old chick "floundering" , walking on hocks etc ... direction?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by demerson, Feb 21, 2012.

1. demerson

demerson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Otego NY
    Just had a hatch of BLRW and there was one little guy(gal?) that waited until the 18th - struggled a little in the hatch but seemed to do just fine .... I noticed 2 things upon his hatching .... 1.He was and still is quite small compared to the others and 2.There was what I think an excessive amount of "yolk" left behind which was not attached to the chick(like a teaspoons worth)
    I left him in the incubator for probably 24 hours or so until he sort of fluffed up - he had quite a bit of the yolky stuff on him.
    That is when I noticed he was on the backs of his legs and laying on his side sort of kicking ... I guess the hocks and still is ,walks around on them .... he drinks and sort of eats .... been giving him hard boiled yolks ... started Poly-vis without iron yesterday as i thought maybe he was a little nutrient deprived as there was alot of yolk left in the shell - yesterday he was peeping away and walking around with the other chicks though on the backs of his legs.
    Today I peeked in and he is back on his side kicking a little and doing what looks like scratching his head.
    I've tried to research anything to do but I am not too sure what to call it - there was a site that called it FLOUNDERING but I find nothing when looking for that - same site mentions an ortho box but didn't explain it to much.
    He can move on his own just on the backs of his legs.
    He can lift himself a tiny bit off the back of his legs
    There does not appear to be any damage to either leg
    Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated -

Oh he is in with 5 other chicks - they don't peck at him or anything like that ....

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I've heard of people making a "chicken chair/sling" to help him get his legs properly underneath him. I've not done this, so I can't give you any real insight on how to make one or how well it works, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

3. demerson

demerson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Otego NY
    Well right after I typed my question all was quiet in the brooder and the little guy had passed ......

4. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I'm sorry to hear that.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by