3 day old chick has a sore on his bum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tzigane, Jul 25, 2011.

1. tzigane

tzigane New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    We saw him last night and seperated him from the others because it looked like the others were pecking at him. It looked a bit better this morning and we put him back with the others. he seems to be pecking himself more than the others are. he is missing feathers around his bum and I am wondering if he might have a another health problem other than just a pecking problem. he seems to have poop stuck to his bum all the time and a swollen anus. Now we are not shure if he has been pecking himself because he has some pain in that area. I'd like to get a photo in here but I just dont know how to post a pic yet.

2. mcjweb

mcjweb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Splendora, TX
    When I got my chickies in april, I had one that was sealing over the area with dry poop. I used a washrag and warm water and held it to area to soften everything up, slight massage and clean area. I cleaned for three days. She turned out alright and sits in my lap every morning and afternoon when I sit with them. The things we do for our girls....Hope your baby is okay.

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Sounds like pasty butt...

As the previous poster said, clean with warm water and then use some Neosporin, without pain relief, on the area. I checked mine twice/day for the first two weeks to make sure that everything was working as it should. Also, you can mix 1 tbsp on apple cider vinegar/gallon of water and give it to all the little chicks. This will help also. All should be well in a few days. If you need more information, search 'pasty butt'. There's tons on this forum about it...good luck [​IMG]

BTW.....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  4. tzigane

tzigane New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    Got some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is the vent where poop comes out, then below that is the umbilicus, which will look like a sore till it dries completely and heals over. That must stay closed! If poop is sticking to the vent, you should wash it with warn soapy water, then dry and apply a tiny bit of baby oil or vaseline to just below the vent and above the umbilicus to keep poop from sticking and use a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in their quart waterer, no sugar (sugar makes them have diarrhea if you keep in in there more than a day or so).

6. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    also take the chick and put their beak in water several times a day. it will force the chick to drink, one of the causes of this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by