3 day old chick it has a hard spot under pooper what is it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wolfman111471, Sep 13, 2009.

1. wolfman111471

wolfman111471 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Vernon, CNY
    Is this just poop or is there a umbilical or penis under pooper? Im new and am not shure of the amatomy. Do hen and roos have the same parts in the behind. Do they poop and pee from the same place the eggs come out. Do they even pee or just poop it all out? I have just read the pasty butt posts (HOW to clean) and reallised I could have done a better job with running water, but am now at work:he. Last night while cleaning 3 pasty butt problem chicks out of 35, I had yet to read how to properly clean them with warm running water etc. I am worried I did not expose the vent (pooper) enough for them to expell. I could see the butt hole but There was a hard spot under what looked like the butt hole that I could not remove even with a moisened towel with warm water even using my finger nail to kind of break it up. It was very hard and I did not want to pull off a body part that was supposed to be there,or rub the little thing raw a cause a spot for infection. Please set me straight with whats back there. Any hard pointy spots supposed to be there under the butt hole!!!!

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I would say just clean them all real good for pasty but and see if that helps. Hold the back end under running warm water if you have a problem getting it off. Make sure the chicks are dry and warm.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Sounds like it is just the navel. Sometimes chicks don't absorb their yolk completely and it leaves what is called a "rough navel" It will heal on its own and should be left alone unless infection sets in. If you rub and open that up, it's guts will fall out.

4. wolfman111471

wolfman111471 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Vernon, CNY
    Thank you I,m glad I didn,t try to pull on it too hard. I will be shure to just wash real well, These chicks are consuming my mind:rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by