1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 day old chick limping and keeping leg extended

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melmeier01, May 14, 2016.

1. melmeier01

melmeier01 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    New Albany, IN
    At first I thought she was just stretching, but definitely favoring leg and keeping it out straight. Still grooming, eating and drinking. Is there anything I can do?

2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    IIRC, this can be a nutritional deficiency. Try giving a poultry specific vitamin supplement in their water, such as Sav-a-Chik or Liquid Poultry Nutri-drench. Probiotics are not a bad idea either.

I assume they were shipped? Shipping is extremely stressful on them, I'll never do it again as we lost over half of them because we didn't know to give them the vitamins and probiotics right away. As soon as we gave them that (after two days of them dropping like flies), they starting bouncing back.

The link below mentions vitamin B's being specifically important for leg problems. Vitamin B also gets used up a lot during stress.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

3. melmeier01

melmeier01 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    New Albany, IN
    They were shipped eggs that I hatched. I will go to the farm store and get the probiotics right now. I was worried it was an injury. I do have two 4 week old chicks in with the new hatchlings but I haven't observed any aggressive behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by