3 day old chick maybe neck injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cindy987, Apr 6, 2017.

1. cindy987

cindy987 New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    I have a 3 day old silkie that looks like she might have a neck/back injury. She will drink and chirps,she can crawl,but she bends at her neck with her end in the air, and doesn't seem to be as far along as she should be, should i wait and see what happens, she was hatched by her mom, not sure if she stepped on her

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you post a picture? Do you have her in a brooder or is she still with the broody hen? So she is not walking at all? It almost sounds like she could have wry neck as well, but I'm not sure. Is her neck bent down or upward? I would give her chick vitamins or some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench vitamins 1 ml orally every day. You could also use baby liquid vitamins 2-3 drops daily in a pinch. Do you have a heat lamp or heat source for her if she is not with her broody? The more fluids you can get into her with the vitamins, the better. Dip her beak into a small cup several times an hour all day long. You can roll up a little wash cloth into a wring to get her standing upright or use a chick chair. She may not make it, and if she can't stand after treating her the next day or two, that might be the best thing. Chick chairs are below.

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. cindy987

cindy987 New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    [​IMG]

4. cindy987

cindy987 New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. cindy987

cindy987 New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    This is her today see how she kind of folds in the middle

6. cindy987

cindy987 New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    I have her in the house now she's under a heat light and a safe area by herself I was thinking about bringing one of the other chicks and just to keep her company I have the temperature about 85 degrees

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She probably needs at least 90 for the next week. I would probably give her fluids and a little wet mushy feed as much as you can since she may be pretty dehydrated and weak from being with the others. I really hope that you can help save her.

8. cindy987

cindy987 New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    She is still here, seems a very little bit better, still drinking and chirping very loud. Her feet seem to not work, kind of folded up...

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would probably try to put the second chick you were going to bring in with her back out with the broody, but watch closely to make sure that she accepts it. It appears that your sick baby may not survive, and the other chick will suffer being alone. I would try making a chick chair in the pics above to get the chick upright in front of food and water. Are you using chick vitamins? Some people have placed baby chicks in a handkerchief around their necks or in their shirts to keep them warm, and feed them electrolytes and food all day long with success. Unfortunately neurological problems caused by vitamin or hatching problems, may never improve. I really do hope that you have success.

10. cindy987

cindy987 New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    Chick # 2 is smaller then the other 8 healthy chicks. These last 2 were smaller and weaker. I taped chick #1 feet up. They seemed to be bent. I am feeding them both the vita water. #2 Eats pretty good.#1 only wants water. She might be a little weaker this morning....:( Making chair today, and thank you so much for all your advice!! Keep you posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by