3 Day-Old Chick Not Walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rodriguezpoultry, Aug 1, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    After the somewhat successful hatch I had, all but two chicks are dead. One of them is not walking at all. Merely kicking it's legs. When I hold it, it can stand, but it's almost like the chick overextends his legs and doesn't understand that if you partially extend them, you can stand on them.

Anything I can do?

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    dispatch it!

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    This'll make the third one...dang it.

I thought maybe a last-ditch effort could provide a "small" bit of hope.

I'll dispatch as soon as I can find a replacement buddy for the remaining chick.

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Every time i was persuaded to keep them they always die within 8 weeks. They don't gain weight.

5. tessa123123

tessa123123 Chirping

Jul 17, 2010
    Hi,
    I know this is too late for you, but may interest anyone else with a similar problem.
    One of my chicks hatched 3 days ago and its feet were clenched and turned inwards and it was just shuffling along and couldn't stand or weightbear.
    Every day, for about 30 mins at a time, about 6 times a day, I would hold and support it so it was standing on its feet the correct way to get it used to this position.
    Then turn it on its back so it would 'excersise' its leg muscles in trying to right itself.
    It would kick OK in this position stretching its legs and feet out.
    Gradually, it would stand in the correct position for a little longer each time before flopping down in a heap again.
    I rigged up a ramp and it would actually take steps, still with me holding it going downhill.
    I kept perservering until it finally managed to stand up without me holding it up and this evening it actually walked a few wobbly steps.

I think the standing exercises halped strengthen his muscles until his brain took over to using the much practiced standing position enough for it to actually walk.
    I now believe in miracles, because eveyone who saw him, said he would never walk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: