3 day old chick - one eye swollen shut - could this be coryza?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by diviana, Jan 28, 2013.

1. diviana

diviana New Egg

Jun 29, 2010
    Ok.
    We bought some hatching eggs here on byc and from ebay. The youngest are 3 days old. One of the 7 from that purchase has a swollen shut eye. Everything else looks normal. No smell. No other chicks show any sign of disease or illness. They range in age from 12 days to 3 days.

I don't have a photo right now, but there are a few here on byc on older birds, that were confirmed to have coryza. Is it possible to have them hatch with the disease? If we cull or quarantine now, are the other 27 chicks already exposed and do we need to quarantine them as well from our other birds and upcoming hatched chicks?

We just noticed the condition today. Don't think it was like that yesterday.

2. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    It may just have been pecked in or near the eye, I have one that was pecked right above the eye and he had a nice little bruise and kept the eye shut for a day. He is fine now though.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Coryza doesn't pass through the egg to the chick. Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) can though. I don't know how long it takes to show up in a chick after hatching.

It could very well be an injury as hotrodflash said. I have also seen an eye that wanted to stay shut with a chick that got cold.

Here is a link:
    http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/respiratory_disease.htm

I would be totally in shock if it would show up at age 3 days, myself, but I don't know these things.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by