3 day old chick question

SassyKat6181

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Western Mass
I got my chicks yesterday, all seem to be doing great. I was holding them and giving them a look over when I noticed one had poop? on it's bottom. Thinking it may be "crusty bum" I wet the area with a warm paper towel to see if I could get it off. It didn't want to come off. While doing this, the chick pooped. This crusty area is not on the bum. What is it? Should I leave it to come off on its own or continue to moisten it? The chick doesn't seem bothered. Thanks

66694_dsc_2067_large.jpg

One of my chicks collected poop on her bottom just "below" her cloaca. I had to soak her backside in warm water and work at it to get it off. While it wasn't blocking her, I thought it would provide a place for more poop to build up.

Try warm water in a shallow dish, hold her butt in the dish for a little bit, and just sort of pick at the edges of the pasty butt spot under the water. she may resist this process, but you really need to get it off.

I used ACV (apple cider vinegar - with the mother) in their water (about a capful in their quart jar), and I didn't have too much problem with it after the first 3 or 4 days. I'm still putting some ACV in their water and they are nearly 10 weeks old. Lots of people on the list recommend it.

Thanks Sharol. I've been putting quik chik in their water. I read on here that sometimes they can have an umbilical cord and I wanted to make sure that spot wasn't it. I was afraid of hurting her. I'll try and clean it again in the morning. They are sleeping so peacefully now.

66694_dsc_2069_large.jpg

Mine had pasty butt too (some of them). I repeatedly had to give a little bottom bath for a few of them. They fall asleep in the water and I had to hold their heads up. Make sure you dry them off well or they will shiver. I stuck mine in my shirt (with the head out) for a few minutes and they liked being snuggled.

They will die from this if the poop actually clogs the vent. No poop can escape and they die.

OK, I think I'll try to clean her now instead of waiting until the morning. Maybe I'll slip her in my bra! There's not much else in there.
lau.gif

You know, I got to thinking. I'm not sure where leftover yolk would be on a chick. The umbilical cord looks like a little string, but I've read here about chicks with yolk sac remaining on them when they were delivered from the hatchery. Was the stuff there when she arrived at your house?

Someone more experienced -- could it be yolk?

I didn't really notice yesterday. There were 47 delivered and by the end of the day when the others went to their homes, I didn't really have time to look at each one like I did today. I'll wait a little bit before I torture her and hear what some others may have to say. It almost seemed to look a little bloody when I was trying to get it off, so I stopped. Thanks

The Umbilical Cord
Some baby chicks will arrive to you with an intact, attached umbilical cord. It looks like a very thin black string, attached to their rear. For heaven's sake, don't pull it! It's not "pasting up"! Just leave it alone. It will fall off within a day or two. Pulling it can really injure them.

Last edited:
UPDATE

I just put warm water on the area again. With the down out of the way, I can clearly see that this is an umbilical cord. It is a black string attached to her body. There may be a small amount of poop stuck to it, but it's not that bad.

Back
Top Bottom