3 day old chick seems physically ok but won't eat or drink and has mouth open

hannahchicken

In the Brooder
May 7, 2015
I just came home from the feed store and took out one chick and completely covered her in my hands so my dog could just smell her. My dog somehow got at her and the chick has saliva on her but doesn't seem to have any cuts of feathers missing but she won't eat or drink and is sitting with her eyes closed and mouth wide open. Will she be ok? None of the others are bothering her but should I separate her in case?
HELP!

I just came home from the feed store and took out one chick and completely covered her in my hands so my dog could just smell her. My dog somehow got at her and the chick has saliva on her but doesn't seem to have any cuts of feathers missing but she won't eat or drink and is sitting with her eyes closed and mouth wide open. Will she be ok? None of the others are bothering her but should I separate her in case?
HELP!
Welcome to BYC.
Since you were holding the chick you should be able to provide us a bit more information that will help us better understand what happened, which will help us know how severe this may be. You say the dog "got to her" and that the chick had saliva on it - was this a matter of being liked or was the chick actually mouthed by the dog? Even without external injuries, a three day old chick can suffer extreme internal injuries very quickly and easily in the jaws of a dog. How long has it been since this incident happened?
You will have to treat your bird for shock - meaning keep her warm, quiet and safe from any further harrassment/stress (by the dog or the other chicks). From there you will just have to monitor her - she will either come around or she won't.

She was mouthed. No teeth. I have looked all around her neck and area that is wet; lifting up feathers and all but there are no scratches, blood, redness, etc. It happened around an hour ago. I am trying to keep her warm but she is consistently moving out of the heat lamps light. I know it isn't too warm because the other chicks are running around and stretching in and around the direct light path. Thank you for your help!

Welcome to BYC.
Since you were holding the chick you should be able to provide us a bit more information that will help us better understand what happened, which will help us know how severe this may be. You say the dog "got to her" and that the chick had saliva on it - was this a matter of being liked or was the chick actually mouthed by the dog? Even without external injuries, a three day old chick can suffer extreme internal injuries very quickly and easily in the jaws of a dog. How long has it been since this incident happened?
You will have to treat your bird for shock - meaning keep her warm, quiet and safe from any further harrassment/stress (by the dog or the other chicks). From there you will just have to monitor her - she will either come around or she won't.

She was mouthed. No teeth. I have looked all around her neck and area that is wet; lifting up feathers and all but there are no scratches, blood, redness, etc. It happened around an hour ago. I am trying to keep her warm but she is consistently moving out of the heat lamps light. I know it isn't too warm because the other chicks are running around and stretching in and around the direct light path. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom