3 day old chick sneezing, Sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quailbuddy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    I just got two buff orprington chicks from a feed store and one off them is sneezing. Their brooder is draft free but I am worried about my little chick sneezing. Is it sick? I am new to chicks (these are my first) so i am not sure what to do? The chick that is sneezing is the smaller of the two chicks. [​IMG] please help.

ETA: Both chicks are also itching/scratching, do they have mites or something?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010

2. Lorije1

Lorije1 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    bump

3. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Is my chick sick? [​IMG] Does anyone have any advice?

4. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    The itching and scratching might be mites. Try putting some wood ash down. Wood ash kills mites. If they roll in it, that's normal, but they're pretty young. There is some great information about chicken diseases at the top of this forum. I would read those to see what fits the symptoms of your sneezing chick. There is stuff you can give chicks for pneumonia or lung problems. We got some from a tractor supply store while getting a Cocci cure. We ended up using it for our meat bird pullets after we pulled all 74 of them out of the field after a monsoon rainstorm. They were chilled to the bone when we got them back in the barn. They didn't develop pneumonia or any bronchial problems though. We just FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS and mixed it in with their water.

Oh, one thing you should do is separate that chick from the others. You don't want a potential disease to spread! We moved some very young sick chicks into the house and hung a lightbulb over their box until they got better.

Good luck!

5. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Sorry, one more thing. This was our first year for chickens. Young chicks tend to die sometimes. We lost quite a few for no apparent reason. It's nature's way of taking out the weak, I guess. If chick mortality hits you, don't get discouraged! Get more chicks! We just lost one of our free ranging young hens to a hawk. This stinkin' hawk has killed 7 of our birds. Every time we lose a bird, it is a real bummer. These dumb feathered creatures have unique personalities and a will to live that is heart stopping. They are well worth the heartache. Keep at it!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by