3 day old chick too cold-hanging out in the incubator

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sabianshepherds, Nov 23, 2011.

1. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    I got my new chicks today, didn't expect them, so no brooder set up at first. I had to take them with me on errands (OH temps) and finally home to sit while I wipped together a mock up brooder. Well one was over on his side, eyes closed, not with the group. I tried to get him warm, but he looked hopeless, so as a last resort I decided to put him in the incubator. Well he perked up after a half hour, now he looks fine. But should I keep him in the incubator overnight just to be safe, or is it ok to return him to his buddies? They are out in the barn (unheated barn but with a lamp) maybe the low will be 35 F tonight.

2. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    As long as there are no drafts and the temp under the heat lamp is 95 F I would say you are fine to put him with the others. But if you aren't sure keep him in overnight and put him with the others in the morning when you can watch. But by the sound of it he/she is fine now... is 'it' eating and drinking well?

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I think that's going to be way too cold for the chicks. Is your brooder draft free with the temp being 95% under the lamp, at chick level?

4. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    I'm not sure that anything in this house is draft free. It's such an old house, and even with all of my windows taped, there is still a mysterious breeze... That's why it's in the incubator, the only really warm place. I took it out to give it some water, but no food yet.

I'm thinking the corner room (it's an inside room) in the barn is pretty good, because the others outside are eating and drinking and only a few are huddled.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    As long as they are warm enough. If they get too cold they can pile up and smother the bottom chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by