3 day old chick very weak and MAY BE DYING. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lisa202, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I just got 5 white silkie chicks in the mail yesterday. This morning, one (the smallest one) was in the corner all listless, eyes closed and very unstable. I put her back under the heat and tried to give her baby vitamins (I'm not sure if any actually got in her as her beak was shut)

She peeps loudly every once in a while, but stands there wobbly with eyes closed.

Is there anything I can do to help her along? Or is she just too weak and sickly to survive?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    You can try watering down some chick starter and syringe feeding her. Are you useing medicated? also a bit of natural yogurt with bacterial culture, and scramble up some egg for it. If is still not responding, it would probably be berst to put her down.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Aww. I'm sorry [​IMG] I had this happen with mailed silkies too and also with feedstore chicks. There is just something wrong internally and all you can do is try to keep her comfortable and wait, or put her down. Of course she could pop out of it too. [​IMG] Rest assured that you are doing everything humanly possible, you are a good chick mamma, the rest is up to her. [​IMG]

4. Lisa202

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    She was the smallest of the 5 and I did notice that she was just a little different. She wasn't as perky, and jumpy like the rest. She did eat and drink, but she even drank a little different than the others. She would take some water and then hold her head up for a while as if it was taking longer to get down her throat.

I'll give her med chick starter mushed with vitamin water every hour and keep her warm and pray for her to be ok.

Thanks!

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Also, give her some sugar water, this will give somw immediate energy.

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:Sending happy thoughts your way [​IMG]

7. Lisa202

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    She seems to have a new symptom...she holds her head back a little and takes open mouth breaths.

8. Lisa202

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I really need to know what to do. I've given her boiled egg yoke with warm sugar water. She's getting worse.

9. LaBaze

LaBaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Does she have hard poop on her butt???? If so its pastey butt and you need to get some warm water and get the poop off FAST. Then give her some yogurt, sugar water or anything to give her an energy boost!!!

10. MarekAelie

MarekAelie New Egg

May 24, 2012
    What happened then? I was reading and I have one doing just that! i am giving her some sugar water and feed bit by bit. She is maybe 3 days old,got her at our local country store. I am trying egg white too.
    Thnaks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by