3 day old chick w/ scissor beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ataylor995, Mar 6, 2016.

1. ataylor995

ataylor995 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2015
    I have a 3 day old buff orphington chick with a scissor beak. I'm pretty sure she can eat and drink and she's not getting picked on by the others, any suggestions?

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    All depends on how you want to deal with a special-needs chick. When they are small, they can often eat and drink enough especially out of a deeper dish.

It often gets worse over time though. I put down two cockerels with cross beak when it got to the point where they couldn't eat enough normally. I wasn't going to hand-feed or tube feed them.

Some people cull as soon as they notice it, knowing that the chick may not have a good quality of life.

It's really up to you.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How serious is the deformity? There can be a pretty wide spectrum of the "scissor" -- a photo may help us better see how much of a problem this may or may not be long-term.

4. ataylor995

Dec 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. sabrina11

sabrina11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    I had one chick like that but a lot worse. I tube fed her and put food in her mouth and they are able to eat a squish darker brown banana by themselves even though they have crooked beaks. Anyways my chicken lived a long good life, she died from a coyote I think or a hawk because we never found her. If you are willing to take care of her or him and you have enough time to then she or he will live a long good life![​IMG][​IMG]

6. ataylor995

Dec 20, 2015
    Now I'm getting worried, I've read all of the horror stories that come along with these special babies. I am going to try everything I possibly can for him/her, I'm not one to cull them just because it's different.

However, I'm getting a little scared because it is the only one cheeping super loud and I don't know what it means? It's been eating and the others aren't bothering it, it's just standing there under the light cheeping :(

7. sabrina11

Mar 6, 2016
    He/she may be hungry or thirsty, but the crooked beaked one I had always chirped for no reason and lived until she was 7I had one chick like that but a lot worse. I tube fed her and put food in her mouth and they are able to eat a squish darker brown banana by themselves even though they have crooked beaks. Anyways my chicken lived a long good life, she died from a coyote I think or a hawk because we never found her. If you are willing to take care of her or him and you have enough time to then she or he will live a long good life![​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. izziebean

izziebean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    I have one that is almost a year old. She's a little toot. I think I spoiled her a little too much with the hand feeding and now demands it (even when I see her eating just fine out of the normal bowls!!). I've tried different things. If she looks like she's lost some weight, I'll mix up her normal food with some water until its mushy.. then i'll stick dried worms all in there. She'll eat that for about 30 minutes twice a day. Those times are rare. She's fiesty and fun. Her beak is very twisted.. if you need pictures I can snap one tomorrow. She doesn't need much extra help. I don't think I would have tube fed her. I told her from the start that as long as she tries, we'll just keep going on in life together. There are some deep feeders that you hang on the wall.. they go very deep. I keep that filled to the top and she can hit her whole beak inside and get a big bite. You also might want to invest in a scale. Knowing her weight will help later on if she is looking thin. You can get a 9 pound scale on amazon for around 10 bucks.

9. ataylor995

Dec 20, 2015
    Yes! Please send pictures I am very worried and uninformed of how to take care of a special bird. Any help will be greatly appreciated [​IMG][​IMG]

10. sabrina11

Mar 6, 2016
    Hello this is Sabrina, I'm wondering why my chick is hatching and their is thick blood and the baby is still alive and chirping. What happened??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by