3 day old chick with an foot issue

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by slordaz, Jul 21, 2019.

1. slordaz

slordaz Songster

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    this was one of the mal positioned chicks , she had splayed leg splinted and worked with exercising her legs, she's got her legs under her but her to toes are curled up and walked on them funny. Is there anything I can do to help her? She is up and around and don't take no crap from the other 4 babies. sorry not best picture she still hides that leg sometimes but gets around fast lol

Attached Files:

2. Dec17

Dec17 In the Brooder

May 27, 2019
    You can but needs doing early but some big plasters/bandaids sorry I’m English stick her food onto the plaster in the correct position (uncurled) and then stick the other half of the plaster on the top and leave her be and leave it on for at least 4 days or until it stays straight when you take it off basically your waiting for it’s bones and joints to grow back in correct position so don’t leave it long other wise it will do too late

FowlWitch, slordaz and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. Lcadle219

Lcadle219 Hatching

Jul 21, 2019
    Georgia
    Hatched one 2 weeks ago with the same issue. It worked itself out within a few days shes walking fine now however she is growing at a slower rate than the others.

FowlWitch and slordaz like this.
  4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Crowing

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    FowlWitch, slordaz and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. slordaz

slordaz Songster

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    She takes the splints off faster than I can get em on, it's the toes that are being affected is all now, I feel sorry for the other 4, she don't put up even walking funny with any of em giving her any crap. seems a little better today, she's growing at same rate as the others I've just never seen this, will check out the article and maybe see if can get a couple people to help me do it she's a handful and a half. Thanks for the replies

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Dec 17 is talking about "sandals" . I had a 3wk old develop CTP, Poly Visol (without the iron), boiled egg yolk mixed with it's crumbles & sandals. Took 2wks and he was strutting around, yes he was very cocky. Small as he was, he was going after the bigger chicks in the brooder. I did have him separated while treating.

Read about using Poly Visol but Nutri Drench would have been my choice had I known I could use it.

Attached Files:

FowlWitch and slordaz like this.
  7. slordaz

slordaz Songster

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    he's sure a handsome guy, this afternoon her toes seem to be working lots better and eating and drinking fine, will get shoes made and try some of your suggestions too Chickennanny, Beauty is already is at top of pecking order outta the 5 even with her problem toes

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  8. slordaz

slordaz Songster

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    ok band aid splint lasted 1 minute before she tore it off, cardboard and medical tape flip flops lasted 2 minutes , so just gonna keep working with the cup and perching which she seems to at least cooperate with. she is really going to be my problem child/chick as feisty as she is, can try the leg bands with a string but doubt that will help to much she'll just pick at string until she gets it off so would have to be under very close supervision with this one

FowlWitch likes this.
  9. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    Maybe she needs a tiny little cone like vets give dogs lol

slordaz likes this.
  10. slordaz

slordaz Songster

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    Mabey, tried Velcro and that lasted less than the band aid splint, she's either super smart or hell bent on not having that corrected, and she still thinks she's boss lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: