3 day old chick with fecal matter coming out if imbilica

carriebain

Songster
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
Lakewood California
Is there anything I can do to help her? She is 3 days old and I noticed what looked like a plugged vent. When I started cleaning her off with a Q-tip dipped in warm water, I saw poop dripping from a whole near her umbilical cord! Has anyone ever seen this before? ETA should read umbilica not imbilica

Last edited:
Poop, it smelled and was liquid.it was pouring out of her. Her bottom was swollen and squishy and when I wrapped her up as the hole emptied her bottom flattened. The hole is plugged and not leaking now, but.....

Last edited:
Poop, it smelled and was liquid
Yolk can look like liquid poo if infection sets in. If it lives, great, but if not you should utilize the free necropsy service tha California offers.

How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

They need the whole bird, refrigerated, not frozen. If you live in CA, there are four labs that do necropsies on poultry (chickens, turkeys, waterfowl) for free. I know that they do out of state necropsies, but I think they charge for those. You could call them and ask what they charge for out of state "backyard poultry". The lab I use is the one in Tulare, CA. If you are in CA, call them and ask for their FedEx account number, it will save a bunch on shipping charges.

CAHFS
18830 Road 112
Tulare, CA 93274-9042
(559) 688-7543
(559) 686-4231 (FAX)
[email protected]

The other labs are listed here:
http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/services/lab_locations.cfm

If it's Friday, unless you want to overnight for Saturday delivery, I would suggest shipping on Monday for Tuesday delivery. What you need to do, if you haven't already done so, is put your bird in your refrigerator, NOT the freezer! Then you need to find a box, line it with styrofoam (I use the 4'x8'x1" stuff from Home Depot. You can also get smaller pieces at an art store like Michael's, but is way more expensive. Click here to see foam options. You'll also need at least one ice pack. Here are some pictures that I took of the last bird that I sent:

Box lined with foam on four sides and bottom. Seams of foam taped sealed.

Box, sides, bottom and and top.

Frozen ice pack in ziplock baggie.

Brown paper on top of ice pack.

Hen in ziplock baggie on top of brown paper.

Brown paper on top of hen.

Ice pack on top of brown paper.

Lid on top of brown paper.

Inside the box you should also include a submission form in a ziplock baggie. Do not tell anyone at FedEx that you're shipping a dead animal... that seems to really worry them. Just make sure that nothing will leak.

-Kathy

Yolk can look like liquid poo if infection sets in. If it lives, great, but if not you should utilize the free necropsy service tha California offers.
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy
They need the whole bird, refrigerated, not frozen. If you live in CA, there are four labs that do necropsies on poultry (chickens, turkeys, waterfowl) for free. I know that they do out of state necropsies, but I think they charge for those. You could call them and ask what they charge for out of state "backyard poultry". The lab I use is the one in Tulare, CA. If you are in CA, call them and ask for their FedEx account number, it will save a bunch on shipping charges. CAHFS 18830 Road 112 Tulare, CA 93274-9042 (559) 688-7543 (559) 686-4231 (FAX) [COLOR=0066CC][email protected][/COLOR] The other labs are listed here: http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/services/lab_locations.cfm If it's Friday, unless you want to overnight for Saturday delivery, I would suggest shipping on Monday for Tuesday delivery. What you need to do, if you haven't already done so, is put your bird in your refrigerator, NOT the freezer! Then you need to find a box, line it with styrofoam (I use the 4'x8'x1" stuff from Home Depot. You can also get smaller pieces at an art store like Michael's, but is way more expensive. Click here to see foam options. You'll also need at least one ice pack. Here are some pictures that I took of the last bird that I sent:
Box lined with foam on four sides and bottom. Seams of foam taped sealed.
Box, sides, bottom and and top.
Frozen ice pack in ziplock baggie.
Brown paper on top of ice pack.
Hen in ziplock baggie on top of brown paper.
Brown paper on top of hen.
Ice pack on top of brown paper.
Lid on top of brown paper.
Inside the box you should also include a submission form in a ziplock baggie. Do not tell anyone at FedEx that you're shipping a dead animal... that seems to really worry them. Just make sure that nothing will leak. -Kathy
Thank you for all the information! I am in Southern California. She doesn't look good and doubt she will make it. They will do testing in a chick this young?

Poop, it smelled and was liquid
She may have an infection in the umbilical area,i would treat this as an infection. The cord may have been pulled resulting in a tear which has become infected. Gently wash area,apply a sml amount of antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "cane/caine')toxic to chickens. If the smell persists(or do this now)use a very diluted peroxide solution and dab at infection with a q-tip,let dry then apply antibiotic ointment.

She may have an infection in the umbilical area,i would treat this as an infection. The cord may have been pulled resulting in a tear which has become infected. Gently wash area,apply a sml amount of antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "cane/caine')toxic to chickens. If the smell persists(or do this now)use a very diluted peroxide solution and dab at infection with a q-tip,let dry then apply antibiotic ointment.
I will do this now, thank you

Thank you for all the information! I am in Southern California. She doesn't look good and doubt she will make it. They will do testing in a chick this young?
Yes, they just did two ducklings for me, both died from what I suspect your chick has, a yolk sac infection.

This lab is closest to you, but you can FedEx to any of them, just remember to call and ask for their FedEx number. Overnight in a small box shouldn't cost you more than $10.

San Bernardino Laboratory

The San Bernardino laboratory provides diagnostic laboratory support for the livestock and poultry industries of southern California, and conducts serological tests required for programs of the Animal Health Branch. It is staffed and equipped to provide diagnostic support in pathology, bacteriology, mycology, milk quality, serology, and some aspects of virology and parasitology. It serves as a point of access for all services offered by the CAHFS.
The San Bernardino Laboratory accepts AVIAN, LIVESTOCK, and HORSE submissions: avian carcasses and biopsies, livestock and horse carcasses and biopsies, serology and bacterial cultures.
105 W Central Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92408 2113
(909) 383-4287
(909) 884-5980 (FAX)
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom