1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 day old chick with leg injury/deformity

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jkraften, Apr 17, 2009.

1. jkraften

jkraften New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    I'm raising my first batch of chicks and have one bird who is struggling. It's 3 days old and has curled toes and a leg injury/deformity. I've addressed the toes with boots that I made of bandaid and cardboard but the leg appears to be the bigger issue. It has red spots (like scabs) on the joint and is cannot be straightened. The chick is eating and drinking and trying to hop around but is already being picked on by the other chicks. I thought about splinting the leg but it won't straighten fully. An ideas on what could be wrong?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    The joint could have gotten infected and fused together. If it's not broken there's no point in splinting it. I'd separate him w/ another chick for company and see how he does.

3. jkraften

jkraften New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    That's exactly what I did. He seems to be doing well on the one leg-I guess I'll just give him a bit of time.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by