3 day old chick with......Prolapsed Vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Poodlecrazy, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Poodlecrazy

Poodlecrazy New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    I just got my chicks yesterday from My Pet Chicken. It was a Rare Breed Assortment so I have no clue what breeds they are. But one of the chicks has a weird red protruding vent. I'm thinking maybe it's a prolapsed vent but I'm not sure. I've never heard of a chick so young having this problem and she is still eating, drinking, and pooping. Any ideas of what it might be and what to do for her. I am off today so I am keeping a really close eye on her, and she is acting fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I can't really tell whether it is the vent or the "belly button" or umbilicus. If the latter, keep an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin on it for a few days. If the vent, I would do the same, or use most any other lubricant such as Vaseline or vegetable oil. Do any of them have "pasty butt?" This is where poop dries on the vent and must be removed, or they get blocked and can die. If you have to remove dried poop, I hold them under gently running warm water and soak enough off that the vent is open, then smear some Neosporin or V
    aseline so the next poop won't stick so readily. Past butt is basically due to constipation. Just make sure they have continuous water available, not full of ine shavings or spilled -- a bit of a challenge with new chicks, sometimes!

Hopefully, the problem will correct itself in a few days. Good luck!

3. Poodlecrazy

Poodlecrazy New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    Thank you for the help. It is definitely the vent, the umbilicus is up slightly higher. Now that I have gotten a better look at it I think it might be swelling or a mass of some sort. The umbilicus is also open a bit . I put some Neosporin on both spots (each with a different applicator) and hopefully it will help them heal up. I guess all I can do now is keep an eye on her and the spots. I do have a few pasty butts including her, but I clean them up and they are fine. They have plenty of clean water too. I use hay bedding instead of shavings because they just drive me crazy with the wet shavings!lol. The water stays cleaner with hay bedding until they are older and big enough to scratch around in it. I also elevate it slightly to keep it a bit cleaner. Again thank you for your help.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds good! Sometimes they will get a little prolapse when they have pasty butt. In my limited experience, it resolved when the pasty butt cleared up. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by