3 day old chick

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
Alright, so first this chick had to be helped hatch as it was shrinkwrapped for who knows how long, we thought it was dead but saw it was breathing slightly so tried to save it, this was at 5:00 ET on Monday. Tuesday morning it was chirping a whole tone and trying to crawl around so we decided to take it to mama hen that morning, it did well until whenever, mama kicked it out the cage and into the coop on accident while scratching. When we found her, Tuesday afternoon, it was cold, and again we thought it was dead. We were about to toss it out until we at the last second felt a kick, and we noticed again it was breathing faintly. As of right now, doing fine except it won't walk still, and wont keep it's eyes open. It does chirp a whole ton though. It's been on sugar water since Monday night every time i can, we've been giving it a little bit of egg yolk. And today/this morning, I've tried honey water and electrolytes.
***note***
chick also may have lost a little bit of blood as we noticed it hadn't asorbed all of its blood in the veins when we helped it out of the egg, we gave it time to as long as we could and left egg shell attached until we were sure it absorbed all ot could.

Last edited:
As far it not walking, could it be splay legged as well?
20230208_203925.jpg
20230208_204909.jpg

I'm sorry for your loss. Often chicks that have to be assisted at hatch have other issues going on that are not obvious, and many just don't thrive. Often hens won't accept a chick they didn't hatch, especially if they sense something is wrong with it.
It's never easy to lose the little ones. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom