3 day old duckling with compound fracture

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kaleasha, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Kaleasha

Kaleasha New Egg

Apr 24, 2017
    Hello, Im hoping you wise folks can help me, due to no vets in my area can see this duckling some how ended up with a compound fracture high on its leg.. eating and drinking just fine and trying to get around and Im just not willing to give up!! Help please

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome and sorry about your duckling!

Compound, so the bone is sticking out of the skin? I'm not sure there's much we can help you do for that. A regular fracture you might be able to set and splint, but a compound one is pretty bad. The bone would need to be placed back inside the leg, lined up properly, and then set. And because the bone was out of the skin there's a big risk of infection so the duckling should be on a broad spectrum antibiotic. These are things a vert really needs to do. Are you sure a vet wouldn't see the duckling if you explained the situation?

3. Kaleasha

Kaleasha New Egg

Apr 24, 2017
    No vet help or anyone one from the wild rescue, they can not even help, I have called the vets in our area. They tell me none will work on a duck no matter the case

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I guess all you can do then is try. Can you post a picture of the wound? Have you managed to get the bone back into the skin?

Perhaps if the vets won't treat him, they would at least be willing to prescribe an antibiotic? If not, someone may be able to suggest something OTC you could use.

But his chances are not good and if it starts to seem like he is suffering, you should put him down.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The Bone is exposed and infection is a given..:(...Put it down...:(...It is suffering and in pain..:(...

Sorry..The only fair thing to do..;)...

Best wishes..:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by