3 day old duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mama Maya, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Mama Maya

Mama Maya Out Of The Brooder

Just wondering how long a duckling usually stays with momma...

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Depends on the mama some are ready to give them up at 3 weeks some will stay till 4-5.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. Mama Maya

thank you.. and what if I'm the momma ? Lol We only have just the one duckling that made it so I'm momma :(

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well mama that duckling is going to look to you as it's mama for quite a while, Lets hope it's a girl. Reason saying I was mama to a duckling [mama rejected it] and it turned out to be a drake so that presents problems when they get around 5-6 months old and hormones start and they want us as their mate. But it can be delt with I have a wonderful drake who still like to be petted and hugged on. [​IMG] Are you planning on keeping the duckling or finding it a home? and are you trying to find more ducklings to give this lil one some sibs to grow up with?

5. Mama Maya

lol ok well as it stands right now we have no plans to part with the little cutie. We have placed adds up to get other ducklings but no luck so here he/she is next to me. I hold him under the blanket to cuddle and we walk the living room for exercise each day (only 3 days). Cutie has a mirror and and awesome set up - eats well, drinks well and is a poo machine... So cute.[​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Where' s the pics? what breed and have you been on your states thread to ask if anyone has ducklings?

7. Mama Maya

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The top picture is at 2 Days: The middle picture is at 3 Days: The Bottom picture is 3 Days with his buddy (himself).

We have checked our local area for ducklings and anyone we knew that might have them but so far no luck. I'm not in America and this is my first time on this site.

The duckling is a Muscovy(?).

I would like any advice pros and cons from those who have done this before. If I must be mommy then I would like to be a good mommy.

Thank you again...

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Muscovy well that's my breed too, they are wonderful ducks and yours is adorable, it needs a stuffed animal to cuddle with. Best thing to do is make sure it gets the best feed you can get for it so it grows strong and healthy, when and if you add other things to eat like some kind of greens it will need grit so it can chew up it's food in it's crop. On nice warm days take it outside and of course stay with it but this will give it exercise which is very important plus it will learn how to forage looking for bugs, grass etc. and being it's an only child it will need a lot of interaction with you and others in your family, keep looking for other ducklings though because they really need to know they are a duck and they need that bonding with their own kind too especially if a drake. Ducks are messy but they really do need a bowl deep enough to dunk their faces in to keep their eyes and nares cleaned out or they can begin to have problems I'll get you the link to basic duckling care. Ant more questions you just feel free to ask there are quite a few Muscovy lovers on here we even have our own thread so come on over and post pics of your little one especially as it grows. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 actually this whole link has some great info. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index I'm loading you up on reading but here is the Muscovy thread too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/130753/muscovy-keepers-share-your-pics

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  9. Mama Maya

[​IMG]

Here is "Turbo" So fits, its so... fast a runner. Now I know its very young but it looks almost tri-color. Brown (chocolate) head, black back and white.
    Dad was a black and mom is well a white headed ???.. Pics below. What color is it? It does have a hint of chocolate on her chest but mostly blueish tinged and mottled.
    Also it has stove pipes for legs, but we have nothing to compare it with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And dad
    [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a cutie!! and parents are beautiful did you have the parents too? and you are going to be amazed how much your lil one changes weekly so you'll just have to wait on color. we're all amazed when we get new ducklings the changes they go through. Love the lil blk legs..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by