3 day old frizzle bantam chicks in a bad way :'(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theladysings, Mar 24, 2017.

1. theladysings

theladysings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2017
    I've already lost two of twelve and I'm heartbroken. I'm going to give you all as much info as I can and I'm sorry that this is going to get really long.

History + logistics: I purchased 12 frizzle silkie/cochin/polish chicks from a local reputable breeder that vaccinates newborn chicks for mareks.

I'm using a large clear plastic container (lid removed and plastic net patching up large cutouts on two sides (I'm about to hatch some chicks and wanted to keep them separate at first but have them see/smell eachother during that time) with a puppy pad that I change twice daily and was going to switch to sand tomorrow (as well as use sand in the outside coop eventually). I'm using a ceramic heater bulb that is at a consistent 95 degrees farenheight directly underneath it (Im using a digital thermometer/hygrometer to keep an eye on this). The heater is set up on one side of the brooder, the water is on the other and the food runs along both sides. I have manna pro medicated feed and electrolytes in the water.I also put some crushed garlic on one side of the feed for the chickens to explore.

This is not my first time having chickens, but it is my first time ordering day old chicks from a hatchery as well as vaccinating for Mareks. I previously had 28 free-range polish chickens (14 ladies and 14 gents) that were extremely healthy and show quality that I hatched from eggs. I had a family friend with an exotic animal farm that let me have a broken incubator (that I fixed), 29 chicken eggs, and 1 turkey egg that he didn't know the lay-date of. 28 chickens hatched normally and I had to jail break the 29th from his egg, and he passed later that day. The turkey egg never hatched.

First chick to pass: It was laying on its stomach with its feet spread out in an alarming way so I picked it up to investigate (it was resting unsuspended on the palm of my hand, not held up suspended in the air during my investigation). It was extremely lethargic, had labored breathing, and was gasping for air (with neck extension that almost looked like it was trying to peck something). I brought a drop of water to it's beak for it to drink (which it didn't have any interest in) and it soon died in my hand.I then removed that poor lost soul from the brooder area and currently have in a box outside for me to bury later.

Second chick to pass: I went upstairs for about an hour after that to lay in cuddle sandwhich with my 3 dog and cry it out. I then went back downstairs and found another chick laying on its back with all appendages extended, beak open, and completely unresponsive; it had passed as well. It is now also in the box, away from the other chickies, waiting to be buired when the rain stops.

I have one chick right now that I'm extremely worried about. This little one can't seem to support its own weight, keep its eyes open for extended periods of time, goes through periods of intense chirping, and has exhibited all the other symptoms lost soul #1 had. I held it up so it could get some electrolyte infused water (gently rocking it back so it could swallow) which it did successfully drink. I started wondering if it had a little bit to do with being without a mother so I let it and three other chicks that are showing higher levels of lethargy comparatively lay on my chest and listen to my heartbeat for about an hour underneath some warm microfiber blankets (they had one side open for air). All four fell asleep but this little one would periodically start awake and do the gasping thing plus chirp, and then fall back asleep. One of the others threw up the water twice, but has been the only one I've seen do that). They are now all back in the brooder and the one out of the group I'm most worried about just could not be more lethargic/unable to support itself. I'm about to run over to a local feed store to see if they have any kind of medication in the event they are getting some kind of respiratory infection, but I can't help feeling like I am to blame for their illness.

Regardless as to whether I am or not, does anyone have any insight or advice they would be willing to share? I'm such a huge animal lover and have nursed many sick babies back to health (including one of my Shiba Inus that had severe acute kidney failure), and I'm feeling pretty darn helpless at the moment...thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Can you post some photos of your brooder?

Have you observed them drinking before they became lethargic?

Try to get them hydrated. Offer some electrolytes and place the water and food at the opposite end of the brooder away from the heat.
    Hydration first, then give chick starter - offer it wet to see if they will eat anything. imho take out the garlic.

Keep us posted.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  3. 104cats

104cats New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    So sorry about you're loss, I lost my dog Collin and we don't know wether he's alive or ran away to some other home, but I'm crossing my fingers. He was an amazing dog [​IMG] and always cheered me up but now he's not here I'm dying inside, he is a golden Labrador #cry we were best buds #hugs [​IMG]

4. 104cats

104cats New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    I least I've still got my cat Lucy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by