3 day old peeps with ? frostbite feet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PeakyBeaky, Nov 3, 2011.

1. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Our peeps hatched on the 1st. Mamma hen went to eat and left the peeps. My daughter came home and checked the chickens like normal-and found that the peeps(each) had a foot that was purple, puffy and had a blister or 2 on it. It has been cold here at night(30's) to 50 during the day, so I don't know if it could be frostbite. The hen was kinda clueless about keeping an eye on the little ones, they had to have been out and unprotected.

We brought them inside to our brooder. They hop around and are eatting. Do I need to put them on an antibiotic?

Thanks for any help.

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

WOW... Guess she's a good setter... not a good watcher... Good thing you brought them in... Got a pic of the feet?

3. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Here are a few quick shots(they look more yellow-the weird color is actually purple).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Not frostbite but looks like some bruising with a possible hematoma. Put them in a brooder a give them save-a-chick for needed vitamins and electrolytes, and get then on medicated started feed. They should recover fine, but the one with the curled toes may need extra care. Hopefully it is a vitamin deficiency and it will straighten out or may need splinting.

Good luck with them and keep us posted [​IMG]

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I am wondering if that was not done by the mom and that is bruised. 30* degrees is not cold. I am out in Portland, OR in a T-Shirt and its 33* degrees. For babies it is but I think [​IMG]

6. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    It's weird. And they almost looked like water blisters yesterday-the areas are less puffy today. She didn't do it to the last 3 batches of peeps. Thanks for the input everyone [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by