3 day old quail chick with impacted craw??????HELP

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gamblelover85, Jun 22, 2011.

1. gamblelover85

gamblelover85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    My tiniest chick (out of only 2 born 3 days ago) was just running around jumping and playing no more than an hr ago. Now his craw is seriously full and doesn't seem to be going down. I had him drink a tiny amount of olive oil and antibiotic water with sugar then massaged his little chest and craw for a few seconds. I didn't want to hurt the little guy but all he does is peep nonstop like he's in some kind of pain. He might even feel hungry and just not know what to do about it. Is there anything else that i can do to either fix the problem or ease his pain somewhat? None of the other chicks have hatched and we had 15 eggs to begin with so far we've lost 3. I would like to keep him around if i can.[​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    It is normal for the crop (or craw) to look and feel really full the more the day goes on. You can see it more on some birds.

Massaging is the best thing for it...
    I would not worry though until you see how it looks first thing in the morning. The crop will get bigger during the day if the chick is being a little piggy and eating a lot..But should be greatly reduced or gone in the morning. If it isn't then let us know here and we will go from there.

As far as the noise...He may be lonely if he is the only one in there tat is hatch...He also may be to hot or to Cold...check the temp and see if he is trying to stay near the heat source or not.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Quote:Well so far he's been my weakest one and he isn't alone. In fact the other chick is picking at him so i know somethings wrong. He kinda stays near the heater side of the tank but not directly under it most times. We have a feather duster in there to make them feel comfortable and he likes trying to sleep under it. And the temp is a perfect 95 F. I say he's my weakest cause i've had to dropper feed him yolk with a lil sugar and water for the 3 days he's been alive now. The oldest chick takes to the food and water like nothing. We put some very finely crushed watermelon in there and the oldest started drinking like crazy. But no matter how many times i try to get the weakest one to eat or drink on his own he still won't do it. That's why i'm worried cause he's been on a steady liquid diet for the last 3 days so how could he impact? I even woke up several times during the night the last 2 nights to make sure he stayed hydrated. *sigh* Learning curves suck lol. Oh and his craw is so full it feels like a semi hard lump on the side of his neck. It that defiantly normal?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  4. the outdoorsman

the outdoorsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I want to help but I am new to this I hope it is ok.

5. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Well now that I know what a craw is, crop.. Idk if a cockatiel crop is like a quail crop.. But when my baby cockatiel that I was raising had an impacted as you call it crop... It died.. Nothing was making it through.. It is getting too full and is not "Digesting" it.. I did all I could do for it.. Vet told me to "suck" it out carefully with a tubed syringe... I didn't have one so I used a tube and my mouth... Nasty... Got weaker an weaker still.. But it was more comfortable when it died...

6. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:I am sorry if this doesn't help or sounded gruesome..

7. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Quote:I don't even think we have anything small enough to get down and suck the stuff out their so small. Not even bigger than a bic lighter. That's one of the big problems we face here unfortunately.

8. the outdoorsman

the outdoorsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I think you should just let time tell.

9. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:I don't even think we have anything small enough to get down and suck the stuff out their so small. Not even bigger than a bic lighter. That's one of the big problems we face here unfortunately.

Yeh it was hard finding a piece of tube small enough to fit into its mouth and down its throat... My cockatiel was as small as that... I am really sorry to hear about that... Nothing is probably going through him.. Just building up.. Spoiling if there is food in there... And if I am not mistaken birds can't throw up.. Which is why I had to suck it out.. I will pray that it goes through and comes out alive... But it looks grim.. I am so sorry.. Just make him comfortable, find a vet and see if you can call and ask a few questions.. See what answers they can give you...

10. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Quote:Well i did the only thing i could and as much as he didn't like it made him drink just a lil bit of olive oil and rubbed his chest and craw. So we'll see what happens i hope he makes it. Now we just have to try and find a gamble breeder close by so we can get a few more to keep the others company, and to start a flock. As i think i forgot to post here that the rest of the eggs drowned. So now we know what we're doing maybe next year we can do a better job after we get some from our going to be new flock.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by