3 day old quail keeps it's eye closed

Aug 8, 2021
I was changing my quail chicks' brooder bedding and as I started returning them to their brooder, I noticed that one of the chicks had one eye open and the other one closed.
It's a blonde chick with red eyes and it's usually picked on by the other chicks, maybe because it's the only blonde one?
Should I just wait for it to get better or is there something I can do for it?

Thank you!

Red eyes? How bright is the light in your brooder? Maybe dim that a bit.
@FloorCandy do you do anything special for your albinos?
Yes. I have a whole system.
I block out direct light, I use a ceramic bulb that just gives off heat, no light.

I put the food directly under the light so if they have visual impairments, they can find it.

I keep red eyed chicks with each other or with blind double silvers, normal chicks often peck their eyes.

if one eye is closed and goopy, or stuck closed from dried goo, moisten it if you can’t open it, once open, look for a tiny piece of feed or bedding, like half the size of a grain of sand or smaller even, and get it out if you see one. Chicks that can’t see well often flail their face at food, and have a higher chance of getting an irritant in it, if this has happened, and you don’t get it out, they will usually go downhill quickly from infection and die, if you get it out they carry on as normal with no further issues.

they will need an open top bowl to eat out of, they can’t get their heads in slots or anything to get the food. They will never use nipples and need water from a bowl or the waterers with little cup reservoirs to drink from.

Yes. I have a whole system.
I block out direct light, I use a ceramic bulb that just gives off heat, no light.

I put the food directly under the light so if they have visual impairments, they can find it.

I keep red eyed chicks with each other or with blind double silvers, normal chicks often peck their eyes.

if one eye is closed and goopy, or stuck closed from dried goo, moisten it if you can’t open it, once open, look for a tiny piece of feed or bedding, like half the size of a grain of sand or smaller even, and get it out if you see one. Chicks that can’t see well often flail their face at food, and have a higher chance of getting an irritant in it, if this has happened, and you don’t get it out, they will usually go downhill quickly from infection and die, if you get it out they carry on as normal with no further issues.

they will need an open top bowl to eat out of, they can’t get their heads in slots or anything to get the food. They will never use nipples and need water from a bowl or the waterers with little cup reservoirs to drink from.
Sorry for not ever responding to this! The little quail I was talking about here unfortunately died a while after the post. It's death had nothing to do with the issue I stated here but I just wanted to let you know. I appreciate your help a lot, this community helped me get through my first hatch and now I've got 6 healthy adult quails! I live them lots, thanks guys ^^

Back
Top Bottom