3 day old red pullet dying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tracytaft, Mar 1, 2014.

1. tracytaft

tracytaft New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    Just got our chicks 2 days ago and already one seems to be struggling. Not eating, cant walk, others are stepping on it. Never had these problems with my other chicks. We are trying to keep her warm and using a dropper for water. Any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    I have had 2 to 3 chick to do that and time took there lives. [​IMG]Sorry.[​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Unfortunately, not all chicks make it. And it is hard to diagnose them at this age. The best thing you can do is keep this one separate from the others and a few degrees warmer. You don't want it to get trampled. If you can get water into her, that is good. Try some chopped up hard boiled eggs for food instead of chick starter. Hard boiled egg is great emergency food for babies. Put about a heaping tablespoon of sugar in a quart waterer. Sugar can do wonders for weak chicks. Sometimes their blood sugar needs a boost. If the sugar helps, you can stop that in a couple days and move on to vitamins in the water. Sometimes they are deficient in certain vitamins at hatch.

You can also post this question in the raising chicks section for more help on this...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Good luck with your chicks and I hope this one makes it.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your chick, TwoCrows gave you good advice, good luck with the chick. Unfortunately some chicks do have problems that aren't visible and just can't make it.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Shipping is hard on chicks, and not all make it.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by