~3 Day Old RIR Chick Pecking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamacubed, Feb 27, 2012.

1. mamacubed

mamacubed New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    Boulder County, CO
    I have been stalking this forum for 5 years, and had hoped my first post would be about my newbies and how adorable they are. Unfortunately, the moment we got home with said newbies (today), I noticed our RIR is a bit on the... well, uppity side. She pecks the bejeebus out of the other 3 chicks (Buff Orp, EE, & White Rock). At first it was just, "Hey, what's that?" pecks but has gradually increased to "grab, yank, shake" sort of pecks. No injuries as of yet, but I expect to see at least some missing feathers tomorrow morning.

They're in a 32.25" x 19.25", clear tote, on pine shavings, with a red, 100 watt light. They came straight from Murdoch's (a supply store) the morning they got there from the P.O. They don't seem to be running from the light at all, every so often they huddle together underneath it and take a nap, then go off to eat/drink/run about until they're ready to settle again.

Could it be too hot for just the RIR? Or is she just a bully? Or am I being a worrywart? Is there anything I can do about it?

Here she is going after the WR. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

[​IMG]

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    You might want to separate that chick if it looks like she is hurting the other chicks. Maybe you could just put a cardboard divider in the brooder. Hopefully she will not do that when she is older.

3. mamacubed

mamacubed New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    Boulder County, CO
    Thank you! If she keeps it up, I'll quarantine her. It seems the others are pecking her, and each other, back today, so I'm not as worried. And everyone still seems to have their feathers. :)

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by