3 day old sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CityGal / CountryWorld, Aug 1, 2010.

1. CityGal / CountryWorld

CityGal / CountryWorld Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/62193__bus3945.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/62193__bus3952.jpg

I
    have a sick chick. Recieved the chicks on friday 8 am, two were DOA at the post office.
    one died that morning about 1 hr after arriving.
    This one started showing a bent neck sunday morning.
    I have separated her from the others, and gotten her to drink a bit of "chick gatorade" (electralite vitamin mix with sugar)
    with the others she was quiet and slept alot, alone she chirps alot.
    Her neck is bending to one side and she's acting lethargic.
    The chicks came from a hatchery, total of 31 at time of ship, they are a mix of brown egg layers, and a few easter eggers
    I have them eating chick crumbles, and drinking the gatorade, under a 100w light in clear rubbermaid tubs, lined with newspaper.
    I tried to get chick grit for them today but TSC only had grit designed for 6+ weeks
    Any ideas? Brain injury? tough trip here? don't know what to do!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I just got some from Cackle Hatchery (34 chicks!!!) and one of mine had almost the same problem. The chick would hang its head so low it would almost be between its legs (all the time, never held its head up). And it rolled over in that form several times over (front over back). Poor thing. I couldn't figure out what was up either. I gave mine boiled egg and medicated starter feed (blended very fine). Today is day 3 and I really have to look to find that particular chick. Mine were all vaccinated for Mereks dz, so I'm not sure if the injection maybe was administered wrong or if the chick had a reaction or if it was something totally different. (they say 1 in 1000 chicks who are vaccinated for Mereks will become infected with Mereks - apparantly it's a live viral vaccine) All I know is the chick is better now.

Hope you situation turns out the same. I will say a prayer for you.

3. CityGal / CountryWorld

CityGal / CountryWorld Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    My chick is still not good, but not bad either.
    her neck is still twisted sideways, and seems a bit swollen on the side.
    fed her chopped up egg, and get her to drink a bit, and eat egg
    she still seems hurt or ill,
    i don't know if i am being inhumane to keep her alive, or if she will get better.
    this is my first time raising chicks....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by