3 day old turkey chick, crippled foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NapoleanGoose, May 23, 2010.

1. NapoleanGoose

NapoleanGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    My new turkey poults arrived the other day, and I've noticed that one has a crippled left foot. She balances completely on her right foot and though she keeps her foot on the ground she doesn't spread her toes. It doesn't seem to bug her too much, and she gets to food and water and around the others just fine, but I'm worried for when she gets older. Her toes are just curled and she doesn't move them on her own well. But if I offer her a finger she will grasp it, and I can spread her toes myself with ease. The are also twisted inward on some toes. I will try and get a picture. Do I need to make her toe splints? Or something?

EDIT: I just noticed that one of the other turkeys has toes that are at funny angles too, do I need to do something for her too? Her feet are flat and spread but just face oddly and one is abit red.

Thank you

Sierra

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. NapoleanGoose

NapoleanGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Thanks! I made her a little boot and she seems to be doing okay. Should I separate her from the others? I have two boxes of turkeys at the moment, one with 4 (including herself) because they are small and were getting picked on, and the other has 10. And should I feed her anything different?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by