3 day old turkey chick from store. SICK?

chickfillhay

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 31, 2007
Berlin Nh
I got this turkey today. I am told he is only a couple days old. So I purchased him along with two crested ducklings. But I noticed on the way home that he sleeps ALOT!. I thought that when I got him home after some water and food he would be fine. But he stumbles to walk and wont keep his head up. I tried to show him the water but he seems content falling asleep in it. Then I showed him the food and I got the same thing.
I called the feed store and told them. The owner called me back and gave me both barrels. He took it personal. And told me he wanted his turkey back right away! He went on to say he doesn't know the conditions he would be living in and if I even had a light. OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! We've spoken many times. And anyone who has been to my house knows I have a very clean environment. I told him so. And if he was so worried about the chick he should've asked these questions before selling him.
I think he was just mad that I told him his product wasn't good.
Anyway. Is it normal for a baby turkey to act that way.
The feed store guy said it was because he was full. But I know all too well that his crop was empty and he would not eat or drink.

get an eye dropper and drop some water into his beak...I'm thinking dehydration...I have had turkey poults do this...if you dont keep water in them...they die...I would think the poult is alittle weak, you wouldn't have bought it...if you would have noticed this earlier....right? If you think about it, sometimes baby chicks do the same thing...

I would take the store owners attitude, on the positive side...at least he cares...he could of said, "The sale is final, you can come buy another if like..." then again you did tell him.."...his product wasn't good."

Keep water in him...and keep him warm...Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom