3 day old walking on shank..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE, Sep 26, 2010.

1. CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Georgia
    I have a chick that is walking/stumbling around walking on her shank. Her toes are appear fully developed. But for some reason she walks around on the end of her shank, as her toes are curled up under her foot when she is walking. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will try and get pics posted later.

2. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    Hi, I have the same problem with one of my chicks. It is 10 days old right now and has problems with both legs. I found some great info at http://www.larsoncreek.com
    It deals with leg problems in poultry. I followed the tutorials about the leg problems for bent and twisted legs to make my casts.
    I have made casts for both of my chicks legs. Both legs are deformed but the right one is much worse. At first, I used drinking straws for support, but I found that some vinyl tubing for my garden fountain is a bit larger and works better for my chick. He is a large chick. It allows me to add a bit more cotton for cushioning from the cast. His toes were bent also and I use band-aids cut in half, length wise to help his toes go in the right direction. I am adjusting his legs gradually each day until they grow to a more normal appearance. The casts allow him to move about with the other chicks. He gets tired easily, and I have to take him out for rest periods, so that the other chicks don't run over him. He has been in the casts now for 4 daysand his left leg is coming along nicely. It is going to take some time for the R leg though. Feel free to e-mail me and let me know how your chick is!
    Good Luck!
    Bunny from NC [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by