3 day old with tail feathers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jakmallex, May 11, 2008.

1. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I have a bantam Americana chick growing tail feathers at 3 days old. Is this a rooster? None of the others have any tail feathers. This one also throws a fit when I pick it up and is very bold about confronting threats (fingers, camera flash, etc.). It's the cutest of all the chicks so I was really hoping it would be a hen.

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    mine grew feathers fast too. people told me that the hens will devolp feathers faster than the roos. so good luck post pics if you can

3. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I've noticed the hens growing tail feathers first. My first group of chickens I thought they were roasters but turned out to be hens.

4. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    That's good news and bad news - good news I might get to keep my favorite but hopefully there are some other hens mixed in too that are slower at growing feathers. I'll post some photos soon.

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Different breeds just grow certain feathers faster than others. My mille fleur d'Uccles had lots of wing and foot feathers by day 7 and my barred rocks barely had any on even their wings and they were TINY. And the cochins development was very sporadic!

6. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Here he/she is at 4 days old.

[​IMG]

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm gettin a male vibe from it, uhoh! It's stance and those thick legs scream rooster at me, but it's really a guessing game this young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by