3 Day Olds and Food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Superior Chicks, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

My new girls are doing great in every aspect, except they don't seem to be too crazy about their crumbles. Its been awile since I've had peeps so I can't remember how much they should be eating.

They are pecking on it, and drinking LOTS of water. I just got them yesterday morning, and they had been in shipment for two days.

They are settling in nicely, and display totally normal behavior, and sweet normal sounds.

Should I be concerned? Maybe change food brands? I don't have alot of options where I'm at, and of course, I have 100 lbs. of the chick starter I have. [​IMG]

Thanks!

Ma

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Somebody else will probably give you an answer before I get done typing this, but here goes.

I feed my new chicks on crumbles too. It sometimes looks like they aren't eating, just pecking, but when I watch closer, they are picking out the smaller pieces. I wouldn't worry about them just yet. If they are active and drinking, they are most likely fine.

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Hi, congrats on your new babies!! I've read on another thread about grinding the chick feed into a powder for the first few days. It's easier for them to eat and also was supposed to help with the pasty butt. Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I ground up the crumbles, I think they were too big. They still aren't that interested, but I'll wait awhile yet.

If they don't show marked intrest by another 48 do you think I should try another brand?

Ma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by