3 day olds with heat in coop over night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by S.L.Swope, Nov 9, 2011.

1. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    Ok so my chicks are 3 days old and 1 is a week. I have a 250W heat lamp on them in the coop right now but it's dropping to 42 to night.

Question is can I leave the like that or should I move them to garage for the night?

It's a 4'x4' coop with hay as bedding

2. S.L.Swope

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    Ok just checked on them and it 51 outside according to the weather channel. Everyone is sleeping around edges of the light and seem ok. The look like dead chicks [​IMG]

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    They are fine just let them settle in. Get a thermometer
    Week 1 85 degrees
    Week 2 80
    Week 3 75
    continue to reduce until week 7 and there should be no more fuzz and the body filled in with feathers. Time to start their days and life there in the coop. [​IMG] and they will be OK

Medicated chick feed
    vitamins for the water
    ween them off the heat as soon as possible
    No treats until 6 weeks bc they are babies with baby tummies
    Get a sandbox with DE (diatomaceous earth) food grade 5 to 1 sand and DE and a tub to do dust baths for lice and feeling good, they will love it. You too very funny.
    [​IMG] Good luck and welcome to the BYC!
    [​IMG]
    to the BYC

4. S.L.Swope

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    Thanks so much! [​IMG]
    I can sleep soundly to night. I didn't know about not giving treats till 6 weeks glad you told me.

5. hooliganfriend

hooliganfriend New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    For my chicks I did not use medicated feed,I used organic chick starter. I did not lose any (12) to disease. I started giving them treats(earthworms and slugs from the garden) after a week or so and they absolutely loved them and I had no problems with baby tummies or anything like that. Make sure they have clean water they will spill it and poop in it almost immediately. raising happy healthy chicks was, in my experience,very easy.
    good luck with your birds!

6. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I didn't know about not giving treats till 6 weeks glad you told me.

I gave my chicks treats and grit from the first week on. They are thriving, none the worse for wear and were greatly entertained by the treat chasing (so was I). Think about it, if a hen raised them they would get all kinds of stuff other than chick crumbles that she would find for them on the ground. I really don't see why you shouldn't give small chicks treats.

Also what matters is the temp inside the brooder, not the ambient temperature. If you have a thermometer in the brooder you can check the temps and if they are within the specified range and the chicks do not act overly cold or hot they're fine, even if it is freezing outside.​

7. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Non-med. chick starter and their first treat was plain Greek yogurt intended to build natural immunity to coccidia. It's so cute to put a dollop of yogurt on your finger and let the little 1-2-week old brooder babies get it in their little beaks..

Kitchen-scrap treats didn't start until 3-4 wks old.

Then at 5-6-7 weeks they're too old/rowdy for yogurt ----- they get to fight over watermelon, scraps etc.

I give a tiny amount vitamin-electrolyte in their water also (most water changes but sometimes I forget) ...change the water at LEAST once/day - more often when they're little or if the water is real dirty..

56/56 alive.....[but a bunch turned out to be Roo's.....all I can say is someone will Give Thanks for lots of lllittle-now-sort-of-big Roos in late November and December....] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I like the temps in post #3 -- the only question is, what is the temp in the brooder, not what is the outdoor temp. As for the rest, like type of feed, when to give treats, adding vitamins or whatever to the water, etc., people manage chicks lots of different ways successfully.

I brood outdoors only.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Where chicks are brooded is irrelevant. Mother hens brood outside, even in the dead of winter in northern states.

If the chicks are warm, (or cool, enough), it doesn't matter. I'm a big fan of the shed, barn, or garage. For dust and smells, those locations please my wife far better. [​IMG]

10. S.L.Swope

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    Ok so all know they faired very well outside though I was cold when I went to check on the during the coldest part of the night. All were sleeping soundly in two little chick piles.

I don't have anything other than an aquarium thermometer and regular people digital one. I'll try to check temp later.I figured they would tell me if they were to cold or hot, no panting or huddeling unher light constantly cheeping so I guese all were fine. I'll pick up a thermomter soon to check weekly temp out there to wean them off heat

Again THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by