3 day peep.. leg problem

LilBrat

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Just registered.. been reading in here a while.. very informative place.
One of our little girl birds has an extended out to the side leg. Her foot seems to be of normal color. She's eating and drinking.. peeping normaly. I have sequestored from the flock - they were ignoring her anyway.
Should I attempt to splint the leg and if so, straight or bent? (it's straight now and I'd rather not hurt her bending it)

It may have spraddle-leg which comes from having flooring that is too slippery (like newspaper). What do you have as their flooring? They need to be able to grip it well underfoot or they get spraddle leg. do a search on here and people have suggested how to help the leg problem. Search "spraddle" or google it.

Thanks
search about to commence
oh and
the flooring is wood.. well covered with bedding fluff .. not slippery

sorry.. didn't mean to be vague
the bedding fluff is pine shavings - over a wooden floor, on top of hardware cloth. They don't seem to be slipping or getting stuck in it. We got about 50 babies yesterday and the others are doing well.
I looked up spraddle.. got to a site with photos, and the picture sure looks like what I'm looking at, except this one only has the one leg problem. The bandaid treatment looks like a good option to try.

that's the site I went to
smile.png

did you isolate the bandaged baby?

well that bandaid thing hasn't gone so well thus far. I got the bandaid on but when I sat her down, she tipped forward on her little face. Using her wing she managed to get on her side but I couldn't just leave her lay there that way so I took the bandaid back off. It looks like her foot is turned inward on that leg and now I'm wondering if maybe it's broken.. although she doesn't seem to be in pain.

could you post a picture of her??
we have 2 chicks with feet problems, one has curled toes. but when you lift her up she can flex them , she walks about on her hocks, the other her leg goes out to the side and the toes are sortof curled on the one foot. i tried the bandaid thing too for 2 days , but poor things just kept flopping around, so i took them off. both have a hard time walking, it is like they just haven't the leg strenght. they were the last 2 to hatch and are of a different breed than the others.. hubby wants to cull the one with curled toes but i wont let him. poor things so sad to see them struggle about , but they are eating and drinking so maybe they need a bit more time. they are 6 days old not be a full week on friday.
hop eyour littel one gets better, we have only 6 chicks so to loose two would be so sad.

Back
Top Bottom