3 day shipping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shamgar1, Mar 10, 2012.

1. shamgar1

shamgar1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I have an order of baby chicks set for the first week in April. I ordered from Ideal. I talked to a friend yesterday who has ordered from Ideal in the past. He said it takes 3 days for them to get here. Is that too long or is it fine?
    There is a chance that it will take two since I live in Lubbock TX and he lives about 30 miles west of me. Lubbock is a major hub so his chicks probably came through here.
    Also there is one other option, but I am hesitant. I could make the drive to get them. It is 6 hours one way, so it would be a pretty tough trip on me, but I could do it (with the help of 5 hour energy drinks).
    Thanks for any help

2. Redrhodies

Redrhodies New Egg

Nov 15, 2010
    Three days is the maximum for chicks to be shipped. They should be fine. For the first three days they can be sustained with their yolk sac alone. As soon as you get them they will need food and water immediately. I live in the northeast and mine are also taking 3 days this year.

3. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    It's pretty rare when it takes three days. The norm is 2. But since your so close it may only take one. People ship across country. Your shipping pretty close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by