3 days and three pullers dead each morning-help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pmpkn42, Jun 21, 2016.

1. pmpkn42

pmpkn42 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2015
    I have 12 pullers that are all almost 3 months old. 4 days ago I gave two Polish away to a friend. The next day one Polish is dead (out of my flock). I figured maybe it was a freak thing or it was sad it no longer had one of its "friends", plus I read that polish can drop dead at any time. Well, the next day, another one died (another polish). Then the next day a big, hearty amberlink. I am freaking out. The 2 Polish I gave away are doing fine. I have not noticed any of the pullets coughing, acting sick, etc. They are eating and drinking fine. It is hot here...but it was 100 degrees last week and they were fine. They have been outside for the last month and a half doing fine...segregated from my older girls.

All I can think of is coccidiosis, although I haven't really noticed any bloody stools. I wormed them all today and was going to start them on antibiotic treatment in their water. Was also thinking of moving them inside with air conditioning. I checked on them all last night at midnight and they were fine. I switched them back on the medicated grower feed. That's all I can think of that maybe is what caused it. Any other ideas?? They are not vaccinated and are a mix of hatchery and local chicks. My older chickens show no signs of having coccidiosis.

2. All Ball

All Ball Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    El Sobrante, CA
    You may want to find out about options in your area for getting a necropsy - where they can identify what caused a death. Where I am, we can get them free from a university if we send in the body cold-packed. I'm really sorry I can't offer more info/help - that must be horrible to suddenly lose so many seemingly healthy girls! Hopefully someone can offer more advice. Best of luck!!

3. pmpkn42

pmpkn42 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2015
    I have treated for coccidiosis with the Corid, we are on day 5 today. I was planning on doing the one treatment, wait a week in between and then another round of treatment per the Chicken Chick suggests on her website. I've had no other deaths and all the 9 pullets are eating and drinking normally thank goodness!!

My question is how do I "clean" the coop? We have a super large coop with dirt as the flooring. I have a thick layer of shavings over this. I realized I have to remove all the old shavings and replace with fresh, clean shavings, but is there any other "disinfecting" I need to do?

4. All Ball

All Ball Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    El Sobrante, CA
    I'm a natural chicken keeper and unfamiliar with the Chicken Chick method so I'll let someone else respond.... Glad to hear they've did so since!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by