3 Days bloody eggs *See Pics* -Need advice -HELP!

Tovah

Chirping
9 Years
May 14, 2011
Oakland, California
Hey there chicken experts, I need your help. I am new momma and I think we may have a sick hen. We have an 8 month old California White who lays an egg every day for us. Over the last 3 days she has laid eggs that are covered in blood. Not the normal speck every now and again that can appear. What should I do. Honestly, we do not have a lot of funds to take the hen to get tested at a vet. Is there some place I can take her in the SF Bay Area that is low cost? Should I separate her from our other 4 hens that seem fine. How do you recommend that I separate her? We only have our coop. Other than the bloody eggs, she seems to be healthy. No blood on the back end and no head dropping. Is this a food issue? Worms? Other parasites?

Any advice and education on this would be really great. I also posted this on Chicken Behaviors and Egg laying Forum, but I think this may be a better forum and since this is an emergency I hope to hear from you more experienced farmers soon. The Pic below is the last egg she laid today. All the eggs over the last 3 days have looked like this. Ugh... What is going on? Am I being overly worried here?
Thanks so much!
E
hu.gif

This isnt all that unusual, I wouldnt be overly worried especially since she is therwise healthy and is nt continuing to bleed. Have they just started laying or are the eggs very large? Sometime when they are fed too much they will lay unusually large eggs that are difficult to pass.

She must be a new layer? They can break a blood vessel which is very normal and you'll get eggs like this. As long as she's acting normal and all then she should be okay.

I'm not much help except to say that I have one 9.5 month old that we suspect was laying these kinds of eggs, but not right at first when she started laying. Now I've got a thread going from bloody poo and I'm not sure if she's egg bound or not, but it's been at least since Monday since she layed anything............

Generally speaking, this can be normal. I'd just keep an eye on it. Good luck!

I would not worry. I have worked on large scale breeder farms and it is very common without any adverse effects to the birds.

Back
Top Bottom