1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 days till lockdown..WOOT! Where do I put the thermometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lilstar, May 10, 2011.

1. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    It just occurred to me today that the thermometer's current "home", resting on top of the eggs, might not be such a nice place for it once they're trying to hatch. What do others with a still air do to monitor the "top of egg" temp during hatching?

2. pruitt514

pruitt514 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Suches, Ga
    I left my little thermeter that came with my hovabator on top of the eggs. The chicks pushed it out of the way on the way out of the shell.

3. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    I thought I had thought of everything, but I hadn't thought of this! Thank you!

4. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    I hadn't thought of it either! My thermometer is kinda big. Hmmm, gotta think about this now! I luckily have a little shelf right below the eggs shelf, for a sponge or two as more humidity is needed. Perhaps there. Will have to think on this! Luckily, the eggs are coming tomorrow and won't go in until Thursday! Good timing for this question! Thanks!

5. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    I have a mercury thermometer and then I have one from Lowes that doubles as hygrometer and it's huge! I suppose I could hang it on the side, but still not great placement/room. I can't put it too close to light and it takes up so much room.

6. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    My egg shelf is made of hardware cloth so I sort of bent the side up and hung it on there. The thing is big but at least it is stable so it won't be in anyone's way!

7. gfcm

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    Right! There's a little room. But I worry if I get a good hatch rate there won't be room. Of course, I haven't been overly optimistic with it being home made. lol
    Arrghhh! I'm going to hang it in the best position and not stress it! Too nervous as it is. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by