3 DEAD BABY CHICKS BEHIND AVIRAY WIRE I THINK RATS DID THIS...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paigeymeg66, Dec 16, 2013.

1. paigeymeg66

paigeymeg66 New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    Today I noticed three chicks were missing from the pen and so I looked for them and found them dead behind the wire all eaten chewed up with snapped legs such a sad sight and the only thing I can put it down to is a rat has dropped them behind there and eaten them.... So I put out rat baits what else do I do I am VERY DEVOSTATED...[​IMG] so very sad as I have a passion for hatching my chickens and I love them I put them in a box and brought them all inside....

OH AND PS I PUT RATS BAIT DOWN THE HOLES TO TRY TO FIX IT ...

THANK YOU FOR READING MY LONG PROBLEM PLEASE HELP REPLY WITH ANSWERS IF YOU CAN!!!!!!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    if they were pulled through the wire or very close think possum. make sure your poison is not where the chickens can get to it.

3. CasadasHens

CasadasHens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    Oh I am so sorry to hear this, my heart goes out to you. It is dreadful losing chicks in such a horrible way.

4. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    I'm wondering if a fox found the chicks or perhaps a raccoon. I have both where I live and I've seen coyotes as well. I am very attentive to keeping my birds safe from predators like these. I don't put poison out because we have too many cats and dogs that could eat it and die. While I believe they have a right to live and survive as best they can, we made sure that the outdoor hutch and insulated coup are well built and protected against such attacks.

Its good that you brought them in. I am sooo sorry for your loss, its a very hard lesson to learn. Use this new knowledge to better protect your flock. Things will get better, hang in there.

5. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Instead of trying to poison the rats why don't you turn your efforts to providing protection for the chicks?

6. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Lazy L is right. Forget the rats and build something to protect the chicks otherwise you may accidentally poison the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by