1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 dead chickens, noticed blood in stool.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nightstar, Sep 27, 2012.

1. nightstar

nightstar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    got up this morning and 3 chickens were laying there dead, no apparent trauma. noticed possibly bloody stool around the coop. We got these chickens almost 2 weeks ago, they are supposed to be this years 4 h black sex links. The chickens appear healthy. Not all have started laying yet, not sure if these were ones laying yet or not. the only thing different that we have done is gave them crushed oysters one day, and gave them watermelon, tomato, and carrots. Of course we do not know what their diet was prior. We feed them laying food from TSC. I have read about coccidosis (sp?) but there are adult chickens, it can happen but rare from what i have read, i have also seen that some animals will kill and leave them. They were in the chicken coop, so it had to be a climbing animal, but at the same time is does not explain the blood in feces. any ideas how to prevent the other chickens of this same fate?

2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    I'm not sure if it was cocci or not with their age. Possibly feeding them tomatoes, watermelon and carrots might make the stools look reddish in color. I would keep watching for farther signs of bloody stool and if seeing it narrow it down and separate the one with the bloody stool from the rest of the flock. You didn't see any signs of an animal in the coop and your chickens were not bloody or missing feathers which would warrant a sign on an animal attack? Sorry I cannot help you more. Sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  3. nightstar

nightstar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    Thanks for your answer, although it has taken me months to find it again!! I got to counting the chickens later on and noticed one was missing, so I am guessing something killed them and took the one off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by